ALTO FRIO BAPTIST ENCAMPMENT
Alto Frio Baptist Camp is immediately looking to fill the position of Executive Director and hoping to select a director by early 2020. Alto Frio is located in Leakey, Texas, 100 miles west of San Antonio.
Resumes can be mailed to John Coleman, First Baptist Church, 400 N. Reed St, Pleasanton, TX 78064
I. Position Description
Assigned to provide overall administration of Alto Frio Baptist Encampment in an exempt position.
II. Principal Function
To manage the oversight and development of a safe and successful Christian camping and retreat operation with an effective evangelistic Christian ministry program directed at children, youth and adults that is in conformity with the AFBE Statement of Faith and Purpose and to pursue growth opportunities for the organization’s ministry all within budgeted financial limits.
1. Reports directly to the Board of Trustees of Alto Frio Baptist Encampment.
2. Directly supervises department directors and indirect supervision of all staff.
3. Relates to all programming leadership in scheduling and planning for the use of the camp.
1. Relates to associations, local churches, and non-Baptist groups in the use of the camp.
2. Relates to financial institutions, contractors, repairmen, vendors, and suppliers.
3. Relates to other camping professionals and professional organizations as pertaining to camp and retreat center standards of operation and development.
A. Responsible for compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations with respect to camp licensing and environmental control.
B. Oversee the development and implementation of departmental plans and policies that will meet Texas State Department of Health requirements and will maximize camper safety.
C. Oversee the training of each employee in regard to their duties and as to safety requirements and emergency procedures as outlined in the policies manual.
D. Keep informed as to developments in government regulations in the area of safety and the protection of campers and staff, including knowledge of current rulings on child abuse, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and pedophiles with the expectation of making every effort to obey all regulations.
E. Maintains membership in the Southern Baptist Camping Association and other related professional organizations as determined necessary.
F. Assist the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees in developing a yearly budget and capital development.
G. Periodically and systematically evaluates all aspects of the plans and operations to ensure increasing efficiency, economy, effectiveness, and utilization of all departments.
H. Promote the financial needs of the camp in the sponsoring associations.
I. Promote facility offerings and programmed events in the sponsoring associations.
J. Responsible for the hiring and termination of all AFBE employees.
K. Determine employee salaries and pay rates in cooperation with the Board of Trustees.
L. Develops and maintains a personnel management plan that complies with federal, state, and local laws.
M. Responsible for camp security and safety concerning both facilities and guests.
a. Maintains residence on Alto Frio campus.
b. Be available for on-call responsibilities during off business hours and weekends.
c. Responding to on-site emergencies.
N. Performs other temporary duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
A. Be a mature and committed evangelical Christian and an active member of a local Southern Baptist church.
B. Be in substantial agreement with the AFBE Statement of Faith and Purpose.
C. Has extensive educational background and/or experience in the fields of religious camps and retreat centers, being conversant in the areas of camping, outdoor activity, recreation, education, communications, management, personnel, food service, and maintenance.
D. Is able to absorb multitudinous plans and detail, work under pressure, and maintain Christian poise and equilibrium in the inevitable daily problems that arise out of the management of personnel, funds, and properties.
E. Is able to work compassionately, cooperatively, and tactfully with individuals and large groups of people and should be able to inspire the confidence of guests in the camp ministry.
F. Exercises initiative and judgment in planning and directing the work of the staff, and should enlist, train, and inspire them to achieve their highest level of creativity and productivity.
G. Epitomizes a positive and enthusiastic stance in the work and generates these qualities in subordinates.
H. Is able to work effectively with only a minimum of supervision.
I. Possesses sufficient vision to be able to plan and implements not only short-range goals, but also long-range objectives.
J. Must meet the following requirements to operate camp vehicles:
1. Hold a valid driver’s license.
2. Submit to a Department of Transportation driving record investigation.
3. Have no DWI offenses.
K. Is committed to learning through opportunities such as educational seminars and regularly reading relevant printed material for personal growth and to keep current with issues and practices pertinent to his area of work.
L. While performing the duties of this job the employee is (note: reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
1. frequently required to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, talk, hear, drive and ride.
2. frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
3. required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools or controls; and to reach with hands and arms.
4. required to have vision abilities that include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
5. Summer season hours average 14 hours per day, six days a week. Temperature ranging up to 110 degrees. Retreat season hours average 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, with some work on weekends as required. Work periods are erratic and adjustments must be made on a weekly basis.
6. required to have a valid driver’s license, a safe driving record, and proof of automobile insurance.
7. available to travel overnight to fulfill job responsibilities.
8. able to use reasoning ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions and has the ability to deal with problems in a variety of situations.